Monday, July 21, 2008

Decks and Mooses and Bears. Oh My!

With three weeks and one day left until we fly out, I thought it high time for another post. But I should be working, so maybe I will let these photos do the talking.

With a bunch of the youth group, over the 4th of July weekend, we went to work on a family's cabin. We put in the foundations for and built about half of their deck. I don't think the kids would say the same, but D and I had an absurd amount of fun doing it.



One morning a couple of weeks ago, D got a phone call from a lady at church to say that we should come over to her house for a minute if we have the time. We did, so we went and this is what we saw when we stepped out their back door.
No. Not Damien. The other fury things.


Last week D and I went on a three day trip into Denali National Park. It rained on and off most of the drive there, and for nearly all off the drive back. But the one whole day that we spent in the park was perfect!

Apparently there are on average about 30 days in a year that the mountain (Mt. McKinley or Denali...either way) is visible. It is such a large mountain that it creates it's own weather patterns, and most of those involve cloud cover. Luckily for us we happened to be there on one of those rare days that the mountain was "out" as the locals say.

Day 1 - Cloud cloud everywhere.


Oh, and that photo was taken on a walk at around 11 at night. Such a pretty sunset. At Eleven O'clock At Night.

View down the main street at 11:15 pm


First glimpse of The mountain.


Our friendly Park Ranger telling us not to get eaten by bears and such.

Wait. Is that what I think it is????

Why, yes. Yes, it is.

And it was about 25 metres away from out bus. eek.

It was a wonderful trip and helped in making us fall more in love with this place. Hopefully more photos to come once I have done a little real work. :)

3 comments:

Jason said...

Loved the update...glad things are going so well for you in Alaska.
Nicole

Michelle said...

Yes, great update Bu. Oh and that Moose is funny looking. Do they always look like that? :)

Michelle said...

Oh and in my not so professional opinion, that's one good looking deck. Nice work.